It isn’t always easy to set boundaries for yourself. Letting people know where your limits and needs are can be stressful in itself, especially for people who aren’t used to it. However, the end result is always well worth it, giving you relationships that involve greater levels of mutual respect and meet the needs of all parties involved, thus reducing everyone’s levels of stress. As a trusted source for counseling in Boulder, CO, we want to help you manage your stress levels, and a great way to start is by setting boundaries.
Setting Boundaries For Stress Management
The first step in setting boundaries is to figure out where your own personal boundaries are. Oftentimes, a good clue is the feeling you get when your boundaries have been crossed. Communication is key when setting boundaries, allowing people with different boundaries to know where yours are and how not to violate them.
Signs You Need To Work On Boundaries
- Do you find yourself saying yes to things you’d really rather not do? Do you say yes to avoid disappointing or upsetting people?
- Do you feel resentful of people when you feel that they ask too much of you?
- Do you find yourself feeling resentful because you feel as if you do more for others than they do for you?
- Do you tend to keep people at an arm’s length because you fear they may get too close to you and overwhelm you?
- Do you feel as if most of what you do is for others and that they don’t appreciate it?
- Do you find that the stress you feel from disappointing others is greater than the stress you feel when you do things that inconvenience you in an effort to please others?
If you need help setting boundaries in your life, call us today to schedule an appointment. We’re here to help.